FREEDOM BID: IT'S DO OR GUY
Monday, November 22, 2004
By Suzanne Zionts For the Daily News


LAWYERS FOR former state Sen. Guy Velella will head into court this morning in a last-ditch effort to keep him out of jail.

If their efforts fail, Velella, who was sprung by a controversial city panel three months into a one-year sentence, will be back behind bars before bedtime.

"We're going to court in the morning and we hope there to find justice," said his lawyer Charles Stillman.

The 60-year-old Velella, who found out just last week that he has prostate cancer, was serving a sentence for taking bribes from contractors. The Local Conditional Release Commission let Velella walk early.

After an outcry, Mayor Bloomberg forced the board members to resign.

The Department of Investigation found the release illegal, and on Friday the newly appointed board ordered Velella and two co-conspirators back to jail.

The once powerful Bronx Republican stayed out of sight yesterday, although several people hopped in and out of his home and into cars.

Stillman would not say how Velella was spending what might have been his final hours of freedom. And he would not guess at Velella's reaction if the judge turns down their request for a stay.

"We're taking this one step at a time," Stillman said. "He'll do what he has to do." lcolangelo@nydailynews.com